Will the US replace Pompeo in nuclear talks with North Korea?

Will the US replace Pompeo in nuclear talks with North Korea?

North Korea no longer wants Secretary of State Mike Pompeo involved in nuclear talks, calling for someone who "is more careful and mature in communicating," state media said Thursday.

 

The official KCNA news agency also quoted Kwon Jong Gun, a senior official at the North's foreign ministry, as saying "no one can predict" the situation on the Korean Peninsula if the U.S. does not abandon the "root cause" that compelled Pyongyang to develop its nuclear program, without elaborating.

 

Earlier, North Korea said that it had test-fired a new type of "tactical guided weapon," its first such test in nearly half a year.

 

The test comes during an apparent deadlock in nuclear disarmament talks after the failed summit in Hanoi between Kim and President Donald Trump earlier this year. Some in Seoul worry that the North will turn back to actions seen as provocative by outsiders as a way to force Washington to drop its hardline negotiating stance and grant the North's demand for a removal of crushing international sanctions.

 

A string of increasingly powerful weapons tests in 2017 and Trump's response of "fire and fury" had many fearing war before the North shifted to diplomacy.
 
Source: Euronews 

18.04.2019

TOP PREDICTIONS